(keitai-l) Re: regarding i-appli development outside japan

From: JAPON.NET <web_at_japon.net>
Date: 04/18/01
Some thoughts on Overseas i-appli development, aka WHY am I developing
i-Applis?

Possible Goals that come to mind:

A- To distribute them in the Japanese market:
One should have some sort of presence in Japan ie. Consultant/Partner.
Otherwise the development part will be the least of the issues to consider.

B- To distribute them in the US/Europe/Asia when DoCoMo starts something
there:
One should contact the local DoCoMo office/partners. It is not clear what
phones will be sold where, and exactly what sort of Java capabilities they
will have. Something that works in Japanese handsets today is not guaranteed
to work in Holland in a year. For testing today, a Japanese presence will
likely be necessary.

C- To produce samples to practice or demonstrate/ To develop for "Java
Phones":
Motorola, J-Phone, KDDI, DoCoMo have somewhat different implementations. As
far as DoCoMo handsets, unless the cable issue is openly resolved, one will
have to get the handset shipped regularly from Japan. In general, to make it
work in an emulator could be enough.

Once the goal is clear, the steps should become clearer also. If A, General
Consulting/Partner search and/or Testing is done by JAPON.NET and other
participants in the keitai-list. (See who writes, what they write, look at
their sites)

Vincent J. Luna, Director
--
JAPON.NET llc.: Making Your Company Visible in Japan
web_at_japon.net   http://www.japon.net/web/

iMode Eye: Independent Source on Japan's mBiz
http://www.japon.net/imode/