(keitai-l) Re: difficulties of becoming an official i-mode si te

From: Jotham Greg-WCGJ01 <wcgj01_at_motorola.com>
Date: 05/09/01
Jeff, I found your thoughts very interesting.  I'm primarily lurking in this list to try and judge the likely effect of i-mode on the European scene, when it launches late this year.  (secondarily, I'm here because of a growing fascination with all things Japanese...)

As the walled garden model probably won't be so easy to implement in Europe, the service model here might turn out like your speculation.... but my crystal ball isn't much good!

An afterthought: although most i-mode users don't need to go outside the walled garden, it is possible, isn't it? Whereas when one network set up their WAP site here in the UK, they didn't provide any means of entering a URL.  Which meant that if your phone didn't have that function built in, the garden was roofed over as well as walled... no way out!

Greg Jotham