(keitai-l) Re: I-mode: Success by accident -or- Howjournalism works.

From: Tony Chan <tonyc_at_telecomasia.net>
Date: 05/11/01
Nick May wrote:

> So:
>
> speculation, based on off the cuff musings by someone you do not name,  in
> an article otherwise filled with inaccuracies - and on this shaky
> foundation you appear to forecast the worldwide demise of wireless content
> providers.....

To start off, I should clarify that the offending piece in question was
never meant to be absolute fact. As many of posts have justly noted, it
was full of inaccuracies and mistakes and journalistic blunnders.
Granted. But it was never meant to be fact in the first place. It was an
opinion piece, a column, which is actually my musings on the state of
wireless content providers.

Here was my intention when I wrote it.

Premise - a content provider (not a site as I've come to discover)
pulled their content down from i-mode, which everybody assumes is a
money maker for everybody. The quotes were color and a way to move the
story along and fill up the space, they neither reinforced nor justified
my conclusion. Plus I loved the name, Natasha Nakamura's Diary!

My argument - a wireless content provider operating in the world's most
ideal environment for wireless content (the fact that it was part of the
Nokia site actually reinforces this argument) could still fail, and I
use "fail" loosely and with the assumption that if Natasha Nakamura's
column was financially beneficial to its creator, then that creator
would keep it running.

Conclusion - the Internet which is so far mostly free will inevitably
influence wireless Internet users' behavior and expectations when they
log on using their mobile phones. Users will be hard press to pay for
content on the wireless Internet. And if a popular (here I'm relying on
the sincerity of the quotes) wireless content provider doesn't make it
in Japan, then the situation can only be worse for wireless content
providers outside Japan.

There was definitely no intention on my part to predict the future of
the wireless content sector, as seen in the fact the article ends with a
question mark? It is an open ended question, readers are encourage to
find the answer.

Tony

> My my....
>
> a "journalist" you say you are?
>
> What's next  "'Doonesbury' strip leaves 'The Guardian' newspaper - end of
> publishing in sight?"
>
> Nick

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: tonyc.vcf