(keitai-l) Re: Useful inventions... (cHTML vs. iAppli)

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 05/18/01
I made an argument for writing a small cHTML or XHTML interpreter in
Java, so that you could get the benefits of HTML style "document" interfaces
while still enjoying the response and customizability of Java for building UI's
and applications.

See http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/hqm/imode/pico.html and also my flame
at http://www.ua.com/developers/hqm/docucentric.mhtml

I suppose there are really two questions:

1) HTML was nice, in the way the Macintosh GUI was nice, because all
applications suddenly had the same UI. So users could more easily
use new apps without learning a whole new command set and philosophy
for each application. In other words, the constraints of the system actually
made the user experience more consistent and productive.

2) HTML was nice,for programmers, because it let them stop
spending so much effort tweaking their UI. Well, at least initially,
now with javascript, etc, it is as bad as it ever was.

But I would also say that the keitai platform is different from the desktop
environment, because screen real-estate is so precious, that it is more
worthwhile
for the programmer to spend the extra effort making a fully custom
interface, if it
saves the user just a few keystrokes or presents a few more bytes of
information on
a screen.

But if screens continue to get bigger, moving up to PDA size (1/4 VGA) I
still think
the best integration would be writing the browser in Java, so you
can customize it if desired. Another approach would be to allow the browser
in the phone
to talk to the Java VM, so you could write servlets on the phone.

Basically, I like the HTML "document" model of user interface for a lot of
applications --
the user receives a document full of hyperlinks that he can scroll through
and follow
links. That still makes sense for many type of application, even on a cell
phone.