(keitai-l) Re: remote control....

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 05/24/01
Do you have some direct way to do I/O from the handset that does not
involve sending data back to a server over the network? I.e., can you
emit infrared from some model of handset or something?

We've been working  (http://www.wem.sfc.keio.ac.jp) on some Iappli
applications to remotely control a web-cam
but they are all using straight HTTP. I haven't found any phone that has a
manufacturer's custom API
to directly output data to an infrared port or something like that.

We're reverse engineering the P503i external keyboard though to allow data
input
to the IAppli from an external device.

  I have the raw
data traces from the serial port via logic-analyzer if anyone wants to look
at them. It appears to be
300 baud multi-byte code for each keypress on the external keyboard. But
it's not exactly rs-232 protocol - wrong number of start or stop bits or
something.

http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/hqm/imode/p503i-keyboard.zip

This is sample data for keypresses of numeric 0 through 9 on the external
keypad The external
keyboard has three wires, but only seems to send data through one of them.