(keitai-l) Re: remote control....

From: Zev Blut <zev_at_atc.yamatake.co.jp>
Date: 05/24/01
Henry Minsky wrote
> Do you have some direct way to do I/O from the handset that does not
> involve sending data back to a server over the network? I.e., can you
> emit infrared from some model of handset or something?

No nothing that low level.  It is all done via the network, sorry.

> We've been working  (http://www.wem.sfc.keio.ac.jp) on some Iappli
> applications to remotely control a web-cam
> but they are all using straight HTTP. I haven't found any phone that has a
> manufacturer's custom API
> to directly output data to an infrared port or something like that.

I looked at the site and it seems like a really exciting project.  Now that
I know that Keio is so close to me,
(I am in Fujisawa) I will have to go walk around the campus!

> We're reverse engineering the P503i external keyboard though to allow data
> input
> to the IAppli from an external device.

I am assuming  you are going to interpret keyboard presses as the external
data when the i-appli intercepts them?
Good luck!

Zev