(keitai-l) Re: PHP3 vs. PHP4

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 09/08/01
On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Nik Frengle wrote:

> > I thought that there wasn't even any character support with php3? Japanese
> > coders had to get around this by installing an extension or something

> I was thinking the same thing, Virgil, but didn't want to get flamed by all
> of the extremely well-informed members of this list (hear the goma
> grinding). I have, in fact, looked high and low for a library that supports
> Japanese fully in PHP3, and never found anything like the perl libraries.  I
> thought PHP4.04 and earlier versions of PHP 4 handled Japanese in Unicode
> fine, though there seems to be a problem with 4.06.

	http://www.php.gr.jp/project/i18n/README.i18n_eng.html

	"This package allows you to handle multiple Japanese encodings
	(SJIS, EUC, UTF-8, JIS) in PHP."

	This is what I was talking about earlier. I remember discussing
	this with someone (George or Nick, not sure anymore ;) earlier
	and he said that many Japanese developers are still sticking
	with php3 since I18N didn't support php4 too well yet.

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/