(keitai-l) Re: CNN: Korea wants to show the world

From: <drew.freyman_at_nokia.com>
Date: 09/08/01
Does association with Qualcomm and Brew equal technological equivalency to
Japanese manufacturers?  I don't understand your comment.

The Japanese carriers took the lead in specifying terminals with polyphonic
ringers, color displays,  Java compatibility, etc.  The Japanese
manufacturers were the first to have these technologies commercially
available.  The Korean carriers followed slightly behind (about six months)
and this is probably the reason for their being slightly behind.

However, I do not mean to imply I supported the original contributors
comments that Korea as somehow crazy to think they are leading in mobile
technologies.  Conversely, the Japanese lead is probably not substantial,
and the Koreans have advantages of lower cost, adherence to global standards
(in some cases), and an agressiveness (my personal opinion).  The Koreans
may lead...