(keitai-l) Re: CNN: Korea wants to show the world

From: Jay <wirelessjava_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 09/14/01
I am a Qualcomm BREW developer and also a Java (J2ME) developer.    I really think that Qualcomm is comming out and working pretty hard on their SDK.   They are incorporating alot of things.   In my opinion,  I feel that they will come out with products like GPSone, and multimedia items with the phone.    This however centers around the CDMA variant chip or better know as the ARM7TDMI chip.  Maria,  I wonder if you have explored the BREW sdk yet?   I challenge you to test it out.     BREW even supports Java so this will not be an issue.
----Jay the BREW and Java Architect in the Silicon Valley

  Maria Pienaar <maria.pienaar@solidtech.com> wrote: On Tue, Sep 11 2001 Curt Sampson wrote:

>Personally, I think that the advantages of going with Java will in the
>long run far outweigh the advantages of going with a proprietary system,
>but I can see how this decision could be made the way Qualcomm made it.

Agree in the long run the advantages would outweigh a proprietary system,
especially for the developers, service providers and users of these
applications.

>But what does it mean for Qualcomm's CDMA to be "based on 'open Internet
>IP' stadards"?

Good question. Qualcomm claims that one of the benefits of their CDMA
technology is that it leverages from the advantages from an IP based
protocol in the technology - similar to the IP protocol the Internet is
based on.

Maria Pienaar