(keitai-l) Re: CNN: Korea wants to show the world

From: Maria Pienaar <maria.pienaar_at_solidtech.com>
Date: 09/19/01
On 14 September, 2001 Jay wrote:
>I am a Qualcomm BREW developer and also a Java (J2ME) developer.    I
really think that Qualcomm is comming out and working
>pretty hard on their SDK.   They are incorporating alot of things.   In my
opinion,  I feel that they will come out with
>products like GPSone, and multimedia items with the phone.    This however
centers around the CDMA variant chip or better
>know as the ARM7TDMI chip.  Maria,  I wonder if you have explored the BREW
sdk yet?   I challenge you to test it out.
>BREW even supports Java so this will not be an issue.

Jay, I am not a programmer/developer and therefor will not be able to
comment on the technical capabilities of the BREW sdk. However, it is not
the technical capabilities of BREW that is in question here. Qualcomm is
well known for it's technical quality in their products. BREW still remains
a proprietary development platform for Qualcomm chipsets, and my question
was what the expected market share of this would be compared to phones that
support standardized JAVA development platforms, which seems to be the way
most vendors are moving towards the latter. Also, this seems to be driven by
the Service Providers as recently announced by Sprint in the US, which
support the CDMAOne and CDMA2000 standards:

"U.S. wireless operator Sprint PCS Tuesday said it was committed to
fostering Java applications when it launches its third-generation (3G)
network nationwide next year.

Specifically, the operator said it would deploy Java 2 Platform, Micro
Edition (J2ME) on its phones when it launches its 3G network throughout the
U.S. It previously said it will start rolling out the network at the end of
this year in selected markets with a nationwide roll-out in the middle of
2002.

The company said it is throwing its support to Java because it simplifies
updating of applications on mobile phones and it provides more
graphically-focused interactive
wireless services. Virtually all device and device platform vendors except
Microsoft also have committed to Java for wireless applications and devices.

Source: By allNetDevices Staff, September 18, 2001"

Maria Pienaar