(keitai-l) Re: Proprietary = BAD

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/19/01
drew.freyman@nokia.com wrote:

> What companies have gone public and done well?  My look at the space has
> shown that the post-IPO equity performance is dismal and the revenue growth
> is flat.  If you know of any ventures in the Japanese mobile carrier food
> chain that have retained their values and continue significant revenue
> growth please let me know.

Drew,

Yes, Drew, from our work we know companies in Japan's mobile field with
consistent sales & revenue growth.

One particular company which I know quite well for some time
in the mobile field has had sales and gross revenue growth all
of the last 5 years. They had a net profit increase of more than 200%
(i.e. their net profit tripled) from last year to this year. I sat
next to the CEO of this company for all of a 2-day conference recently with
55 CEOs, VPs, Chairmen of major Japanese and US corporations, as well
as several start-ups such as the one above, and Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
Topic of the conference was about transformation of Japan's industry,
changing conditions to make things easier for start-ups, reform of
IP managment and IP protection and development, etc. and also similar
questions as you are addressing here.

It was actually quite interesting. One of the CEOs of a start-up was
screaming at a very senior MITI/METI official in very strong language
and pretty high voice. Afterwards over dinner one of the MITI/METI
officials sat down with  me - he was very worried what impression it
would leave with me as a foreigner, to have a Japanese CEO attack one
of their senior government officials in this way. I replied to him
that this is democracy in action, and it was reassuring for me to
observe directly that Japan is a democratic country.

The reason we have this type of involvement and know-how in Japan,
is because of our 17 years profound involvement in Japan's high-tech
world.

Share price is another matter. You know that share prices of high-tech
companies world-wide including the share price of Nokia has dropped
dramatically. Some companies in Japan's mobile sector have reasonably
stable share prices despite the global high-tech drop. Of course quiet
a few are privately held an not public.

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/