(keitai-l) Re: wrap text

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 09/25/01
David Beutel wrote:
> I see server-side wrapping, which is a pain to read on
> browsers of various widths.  Then sometimes they
> center it, which is cheesy.
There is a php class on the keitai-l archive (link at the bottom of this
page) that identifies the model, including screenwidth, which would allow
you to quite simply modify the wrapping depending on model. I personally
would much prefer to have wrapping than not, which is why I invest a bit of
time to use it. The problem is, and this has been discussed on the list
before, I think, that really hyphenation is needed on such a narrow screen.
I haven't seen any automatic hyphenation features in php. Somebody
mentioned, a long time ago, that there was such a package in the public
domain, but modifying it to work with php or ASP or Cold Fusion looked like
more work than most people have time for.
Does anyone remember where that thread went? Did the question ever get
answered? Is there a specific solution for hyphenation?
-Nik Frengle

---