(keitai-l) I just saw the strangest TV ad

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 09/30/01
According to my television, a company called zozurushi (very possibly
mispelled) is selling a hot water maker (for tea and what not) that
allows adult children to check up on their aging parents' potable hot
water usage (presumably for the purpose of making sure they're still
alive).  By coincidence, the ad was run during a heart wrenching
Sunday evening story about what happens to guide dogs for the blind
when they get too old to guide any longer... I wonder how much that
spot cost... talk about placment!

If the zozurushi water heater is for real, this is a major step
towards insturmentation of the house... I'm guessing that it uses
PHS and that the kids have to subscribe to a low cost monthly
service (say 500yen per month).  I suppose you still have to call
mom (women outlive men and kids won't check up if both are still
alive) during the summer time, as she won't be using a hot water
maker very much.  It's an interesting twist on the dramon and
ogi-san phones you can give to your kids and grandparents (persuming
you've gotten your s*it together, managed to get married, had kid(s),
dad's kicked the bucket and mom lives with you now), allowing you
call a fax-back service that will give a map of their exact location
(for a fee, of course).