(keitai-l) Re: Ericsson T68 and Trium Eclipse

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 10/27/01
At 01:47 2001-10-27, you wrote:
>Indeed both the Eclipse and T68 devices are quite impressive for the GSM
>audience, but do not give the i-mode like experience, yet.
>
>Eclipse has reasonable sound properties (3 tones, very loud) and its
>processor speed is faster than the T68.

Yes, a lot. But other things are not so nice in terms of usability and OS
crashes.

>The T68 has a smaller design.
>
>Fact that the browser crashes sometimes for larger file downloads is NOT
>acceptable. In Japan this would result in a recall of the phones if the
>problem is in the browser. If the problem is in the quasimode convertor,
>the product must be renamed to Quasimodo ;-)

Hehe. Well, it's not. We are not changing GIFs, we may resize them if
necessary but we prefer not to talk about it (these license, you know).

>The application server side should check for the device type and
>accordingly for the maximum allowable size of the file.

If it only was size... It's something with the de-compression algorithm.
Quite strange.

>Any news about the Nokia GPRS phone?

Really, nothing special. A pure standard WAP 1.2.1 browser, so that you can
not do the Quasimode i-mode trick. But on the other hand it is only a
limited grayscale screen. GPRS works bot as good as with the Ericssons, but
possibly better than Motorola and Siemens.

>The latest Nokia phone in Japan is an OEM by Sanyo. It is a clam shell
>type with camera.
>Look at homepage of Nokia Japan for some pictures:
>
>http://www.nokia.co.jp/products/nm01/service/what_is.html

So why don't they let Sanyo help them for GSM phones...

/g