(keitai-l) Re: sha mail in Saudi Arabia

From: Benjamin <bkml_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/04/02
On Thursday, July 4, 2002, at 05:44 , Ken Chang wrote:

>> There you go, anybody from Logica on this list - pick up the phone to
>> your Middle East sales guys and give them a lead, sell an islam conform
>> MMS and just in case they need a project manager ...
>
> sad dad if he can't send the photo of his new born baby, ...
> gotta dress him first.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is already the standard etiquette in
Saudi Arabia anyway.

> I'm not sure about a company will like the idea of such a filter
> while selling MMSCs.

In Saudi Arabia ? You bet they will !

>   porno is one of the best traffic generators,
> killer-apps, on both the wired and wireless Internet.

In Saudi Arabia that would indeed be a "killer-app", or more accurately
a "suicide-app" as most often the very serious offenses against islamic
moral standards set by the Koran still carry the death penalty there.

> "deai/porno" sites may be second only to the ring-tone download,
> and they make DoCoMo good good money (as well as the junk mails).

DoCoMo doesn't have a license to operate any service in Saudi Arabia and
for as long as the Saudi Royal family owns the domestic telecom
industry, there is no way in this world for DoCoMo or anybody else ever
to lay hand on a license to operate there.

Even the satellite phone operators had serious trouble to get a deal to
cover Saudi Arabia. The Saudis guard their turf like the holy grail and
they have $$$ coming out of their ears so they cannot be bribed in such
matters either.

And even if you were to succeed to run a porn site for wireless, say
confined to areas set aside for the foreigners, like the US military
base, using location services to make sure the porn doesn't "go astray",
even if you made that happen, you are likely to be the next target for
Al-Quaeda & Co. who will take the existence of any such service in Saudi
Arabia as evidence of foreign un-islamic corruption of their holy land.

In other words - just forget about the idea of porn as a revenue source,
because the Saudis don't care. They will spend $$$ on keeping porn out
of their cellular network, you bet!

regards
benjamin