(keitai-l) Re: International Usage

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/04/02
yes, as Benjamin said, why bother to use a Japanese mobile in
the US while it doesn't even work in Japan (in another network).

Christopher, if you mean mobile phones that're made by Japanese
manufacturers, then Sanyo is an agressive company who now supplies
cdmaOne/2000 handsets in the US and Korea.  Sprint PCS has a flap
color Sanyo handsets (SCP-5150) for sometime and is working with
Sanyo to implement FlashPoint's technology for imaging service.

I think the Japanese makers may enter the global handset market
as they did with walkman and TVs.  but if, as the things are going,
we get a kind of standardized platform - ARM processor, EPOC or
embedded Linux, and Java, then the business will move from Japan
to Korea-Taiwan-Thailand for manufacturing and to US-India for
software development.

150 Americans or Indians, at a little bit higher salary, can do
a much better job than 1,000 Japanese guys for handset software
development.

cheers,

Ken