(keitai-l) Re: - cultural tip

From: Shawn <javajunkie_at_koyuru.com>
Date: 01/11/03
Since posts here often are about the Japanese market, may I just point out
something about your response.  I think that type of response may put a lot
of Japanese people off and make you seem cold and very foreign.

In Western contexts, I understand that the topic was the developer works
site and you just responded with your own experience and relation to the
topic.  Fine no problem.  I know you were just building a conversation and
that in the West that's how it's done.

To Japanese people who want to show they paid attention to and understand
what the message giver was trying to say (both explicit and implied) though,
switching to your earlier success and relative dismissal of the article and
message giver's point isn't going to win you any points.

Personally I wish you had continued your message like " ...these days I've
dug deeper into Anoto stuff which offers...and is and improvement in the
areas of.. but which has the problems of ..."

Congratulations to you both and maybe someday I will so lucky as to join
you.

Shawn