(keitai-l) Re: - cultural tip + Anoto

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 01/11/03
Hi Shawn,

Shawn wrote:
> Since posts here often are about the Japanese market, may I just point =
out
> something about your response.  I think that type of response may put a=
 lot
> of Japanese people off and make you seem cold and very foreign.

Sorry about that - that was not the intention. Culture sure is tricky...
I'm probably as subtle as Shrek...

> In Western contexts, I understand that the topic was the developer work=
> site and you just responded with your own experience and relation to th=
> topic.  Fine no problem.  I know you were just building a conversation =
and
> that in the West that's how it's done.

Yup. I have a lot of respect for IBM these days (as opposed to the old
Big Blue of the 70ies), but from what I've heard from the other
participants in the article I was part of, the only significant thing
that came out of it was more specific spam and "begging letters" from
various trade shows etc. It sort of put me off a bit...

> To Japanese people who want to show they paid attention to and understa=
nd
> what the message giver was trying to say (both explicit and implied) th=
ough,
> switching to your earlier success and relative dismissal of the article=
 and
> message giver's point isn't going to win you any points.
>
> Personally I wish you had continued your message like " ...these days I=
've
> dug deeper into Anoto stuff which offers...and is and improvement in th=
> areas of.. but which has the problems of ..."

Right, I'm probably to deeply dug inte Anoto to realise that a lot of
you may not even have heard about it. I had a fairly long off-list
discussion about this about a month ago with Curt Sampson when the list
touched upon the subject of Biometric sensors. =

I'd be happy to share information about the Anoto technology - though
please note that I'm under NDA for a fair amount of the low level
details.

Quick recap: Anoto is half off topic of this list as it is really a
paper based concept that just MAY use a mobile phone (usually through
BlueTooth) to communicate with the servers - GSM-data or GPRS. It can
also make use of a PC through Bluetooth (Sony Ericsson) or a USB-dock
(Logitech). The upcoming Hitachi model is fairly likely to have keitai
integration. A yet unnamed (but obvious) company will also release a pen
in the near future - this is likely to increase interest significantly.

> Congratulations to you both and maybe someday I will so lucky as to joi=
> you.

Thanks.

			/ Jonas aka Shrek
-- =

Jonas Petersson, X Media Solutions | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809