(keitai-l) Re: DRM for picture messaging

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 01/14/03
On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 10:19:20AM +0000, Ken Chang wrote:
<snip>
> the real problem I think is whatif one day we have in keitai's
> Linux, Windows CE, or Symbian turned to Windows, ... that even
> teenagers can hack them easily.

You surely don't think that Microsoft and Symbian haven't thought
about this already?  Microsoft is busy implementing restrictive DRM on
the desktop and I imagine they will do so on WinCE too eventually.
Symbian isn't talking about it in public (that I know of) but they
don't have a history of touting features in public long before they
are available.

There won't be DRM support in mainstream Linux as it's so antithetical
to open source, but I daresay it could be added in a fork.  The
modified kernel source will still have to be made available, but if
the phone will only boot signed OS images (which regulators may well
demand anyway) that's not a weakness.

--
Ben Hutchings  |  personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Usenet is essentially a HUGE group of people passing notes in class.