(keitai-l) Re: 7.5% of US SMS messages lost...

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 01/19/03
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Jonas Petersson wrote:
> > As I hinted in my previous mail, some phone manufacturers make this
> > setting mroe obvious then others. IMHO, Nokia phones have been quite
> > decent in this respect for many years...
> =

> Well, you're welcome to have a look at my Nokia phone and try to figure=

> out how to get it to tell me delivery status. I've been through all the=

> menus (as far as I can tell) and I can't see how to do it.

Please state your model. For the simpler phones (like the 3210) you can
find it under: Messages (2) Message Setting (5) Common (2) Delivery
Reports (1). My digits indicate the shortcut menu number. For a more
advanced model you (say 9210) you go to Messaging / Accounts settings /
SMS.

Near these setting you will also find the default settings for how long
SMS will try to be delivered.

> > This is typically correct. This is identical to that you will not get=

> > the stamp back if you postcard can not be delivered for some reason.
> =

> Yeah, but at least a letter is returned if I put my return address on i=
t.

True - adding your return address is in that case quite similar to
turning on "Delivery reports" IMHO. =

> But mostly I'm peeved because I can't integrate it with my e-mail,
> they way I can with i-mode. (All my keitai e-mail goes through my mail
> servers, and gets copied to my computer.)

I don't know about US GSM telcos, but at least around here (Sweden) you
have the option to have you mail sent to a mail account at the telco
(very similar to keitai I think). If so, you instantly get an SMS when a
mail arrives and you can get the rest in several different ways:
1) Bit-by-bit as SMS.
2) Read by WAP.
3) Fetch by POP/IMAP to your highend phone (say Nokia 9xxx series or
similar)
4) Use the telco webmail.
5) Use you ordinary computer to fetch the mail.

Personally, I do it the other way around: I keep mail locally, but have
a cron job that sends off the first 100 chars to my telco account
whenever I haven't read the mail for an hour. Then I get the SMS and can
fetch if from my local account instead (same options as above).

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson, X Media Solutions | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809