(keitai-l) Re: gimmick, but....

From: Dirk Rösler <dirkREMOVE_at_tkm.att.ne.jp>
Date: 02/18/03
As nice and empowering your theory sounds, in my opinion there are some=20=

flaws in it making it wishful thinking:

First it is not the increased capability of capture which makes the=20
event. The event is there first, then ensues its capture.

Then secondly the number of newsworthy (admittedly, this term depends=20
on one's definition) events is finite. There will not be more relevant=20=

news just because there's more people out there ready to capture it.=20
You may say that in turn more events will be reported, which leads to=20
point three.

Thirdly not all events deserve the capture, simply because there is a=20
natural upper bound on the demand of news or reporting. The audience=20
will stick to what's relevant, thereby limiting what is put into the=20
system and standard editing takes place. Editing has its own problem:=20
say a camera takes a picture, what's next? Forward to 5 news agencies,=20=

ten television stations and 20 newspapers?

In plain English: we may be technically able to see plenty of cute=20
pictures of babies, cats etc, but nobody has an interest in these=20
trivial things. We will see events that have been events before, but=20
better documented because there is greater probability that someone is=20=

taking a picture, or pictures from different angles etc. Also useful=20
for police or accident investigators.

There is however a greater potential for niche news, for people with a=20=

particular interest, but not within the mainstream. But the bottom line=20=

is that more cameras doesn't mean more or better news.

Dirk

http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/