(keitai-l) Re: Emoji munged in mail transport?

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 02/26/03
Joe,
E-moji are not part of the normal Shift-JIS character set. They reside
in a 'reserved' part of the character set that is normally empty. I-mode
handsets have characters there, as per NTT DoCoMo's e-moji specification
(http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/i/tag/emoji/index.html), but
your Linux or Windows or Mac fonts do not, and I believe that they
CANNOT use part of the area where e-moji reside, and so I am guessing
that what happens is that the hex value is checked, found to be invalid,
and printed as-is rather than being converted, which is what is supposed
to happen.
Tracy from Enfour can probably explain this more correctly than I can,
and they also have a product called Keitai Font
(http://www.enfour.co.jp/media/keitaifont/index.html) that allows a
normal web page with emoji to be displayed on a desktop computer. This
is for Windows, though, and I am pretty uncertain if it would work with
your mail client or not.
Hope this helps,
Best,
Nik Frengle