(keitai-l) Re: earthquake, but no noopie

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 05/26/03
On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 12:44:37PM +0100, John Whelan wrote:
<snip>
> One last point: Who do people always "7 on the Richter scale" or perhaps  a
> little better "Magnitude of 7"? The correct usage should be "7 Richter(s)".
> After all we don't say 240 on the Volt scale, or 0.1 on the Tesla scale
> etc..  Just a thought.
<snip>

n units are supposed to represent a quantity n times larger than 1
unit.  However, the Richter scale is logarithmic - an earthquake rated
as n on the Richter scale is 10^(n-1) times more energetic than one
rated 1.  These aren't units we're dealing with.  (Though that doesn't
stop people treating decibels as units.)

--
Ben Hutchings  |  personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Design a system any fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.