(keitai-l) Mobile Disruption

From: Jeff B <whymode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 02/13/04
Based on a recommendation on this mailing list, I obtained and read Jeffery
Funk's fine book "Mobile Disruption."  Overall I found it a good overview of
what is happening in the mobile Internet, as it cut through some of the
anecdotal crap out there.  Despite a few minor nits, I recommend it.

Especially interesting is Jeff's view (which assumes no future changes in
mobile internet) that the current battle for a "platform" iis among imode,
VOD LIve, with a very outside chance for OMA.  I am interested in hearing
other views.  (Having worked in the WAP FOrum I am very pessimistic that OMA
will be able to produce standards that are sufficiently "tight" to avoid
implementations that result in a fragmented Content Provider-facing
cross-handset platform with interoperability "challenges.")

Also of interest is Jeff's statement in CH 10 on Western carrier current
emphasis on SMS and MMS and its lesser capability as compared to a browser.
(I could rant on and on in this area, but will stop here before I get my
blood up unnecessarily...)

In any case, a fine read.
Take Care.

Jeff B

Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your
online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/