(keitai-l) Re: Article: Wi-Fi Could Make Cellphones Obsolete

From: William Volk <bvolk_at_zipproof.com>
Date: 02/17/04
Let me add this.

WiFi operators don't even have Roaming figured out.  There's a worldwide
standard ... but I couldn't use my WiFi in Korea because I didn't have
an account (laptop computer) on the local system ... even though I have
a monthly account with T-Mobile in the USA.

Perhaps before the WiFi folks take on mobile phones, they should first
fix  the problems they have.

Bill

PBXs,
> in
> effect -  and have no effct at all on conventional telcos per se. They
> only
> have an effect if coverage is good enough for people to use them
instead
> of
> cellular phones. We had a huge argument here over this last summer,
but
> the
> key points are:
>
> Will wifi coverage ever be good enough? Or would you have to look
around
> for
> a sign on the wall?
> Will people bother to sign up for a separate service?
> Will handsets be able to do wifi/cellular handover? Because if not,
> someone
> making a wifi call would have to stand still.
> With people already buying bundles of more cellular minutes than they
can
> use, is the 'cheaper' angle offered by wifi (even if it were true)
> relevant?
>
> Essentially, the only way to do a usable 'public wifi' voice service
is in
> partnership with the cellular operators.

http://www.netstumbler.com/article.php?sid=1116&mode=thread&order=0&thol
d=