(keitai-l) Re: Article: Wi-Fi Could Make Cellphones Obsolete

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/18/04
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, William Volk wrote:

> WiFi operators don't even have Roaming figured out.  There's a worldwide
> standard ... but I couldn't use my WiFi in Korea because I didn't have
> an account (laptop computer) on the local system ... even though I have
> a monthly account with T-Mobile in the USA.
>
> Perhaps before the WiFi folks take on mobile phones, they should first
> fix  the problems they have.

They're working on it. If you have a b-mobile card (www.bmobile.ne.jp),
for example, you can also use the WiFi networks of several different
providers, and they're planning to add international providers as well.
A Hong Kong provider is just about to start testing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org