(keitai-l) Re: Related - Mobile computing on a new level

From: Darren Luckett <darren_at_ukmedia.us>
Date: 02/19/04
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Darren Luckett wrote:

> marketspeak again. no story needed to sell new technology, function sells
> it - ie clearer pictures = DVD, Videophone = 3G.

CJ wrote >>That strikes me as quite wrong indeed. If clearer pictures,
rather
than a much handier physical format and better features (multiple
soundtracks, subtitles that can be turned on and off, etc.), are what
sold DVDs, why has HDTV stalled so badly? If Videophone is what's
selling 3G, why is Docomo's 3G network, which is the only one that has
real videophone service, the least popular?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Darren Luckett wrote:

> foma is quite successful considering its market time.

CJ wrote >>Rubbish. Foma is less popular than Tu-ka, and the other 3G
services that
came out (such as AU) after it have been eating its lunch.

> hdtv is popular in japan.

CJ wrote >>Next time you're in Japan, let's go out to Bic Camera or
Akihabara
together so you can show me the evidence of this "popularity."

I wrote today, i did >> look for the shops that sell tv, yamada denki is
quite a big brand. they sell quite a few. most of my friends here have hdtv
and if you looked on the web there are stats that show hdtv is more popular
in japan than anywhere else.

>> the foma service - with its real 3g videophone service - is the most
popular real 3g videophone service here in japan. 2 million plus with
subscription rats almost doubling each month.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2004/6597.htm for more info on users

see http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2002-11/0160.html for the
difference between cdma and wcdma.

also the handsets where bad. the new 900i series is widely acclaimed both
far and wide as "the greatest mobile phones in the world" and they are...

so bringing to a close my original point, technology of these 3g phones
improved as did coverage as did take up. user groups may have feed back what
the press and docomo knew already about poor converge and battery, but
improved technology was the reason for the increase.

darren>>

darren