(keitai-l) Re: Handling the various Carriers and Models

From: Darren Luckett <darren_at_www.ukmedia.us>
Date: 02/20/04
hello,

you could try the WURFL project which will be adding docomo support shortly.
in european the multiple version approach is stil most popular - even
vodafone live uses an xsl  stylesheet per device, per country - they mst
have over a 200 now.  the obvious problem is when it comes to change the
templates - dynamic v static.

WURF is at*
http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php

its free to use as well.

this will take care of the device capabilties side. the other side is the
content display. a jsp tag library is currently under developement with the
wurfl to deal with the issues of cHTML/XHTML/WML code translations.  a
simple example is <br>. works for web and chtml, but not any xml based
parsing languages such as xhtml or wml.

darren

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:40:44 +0900, Christopher Kobayashi wrote
> I am starting to explore mobile web application development, and was
> wondering about the common ways companies in Japan deal with the various
> formats (cHTML, XHTML, etc.), and models (SO505is, SO504i, etc.) in the
> context of delivering content/web application. Some methods that I
> run across are different URLs, and auto detection, but I wonder what
> other strategies/examples are out there.
>
> Different URL:
> I see on advertisements that some companies use different subdomains
> or subdirectories for each carrier to deal with this issue (ie.
> i.sitename.jp,
> v.sitename.jp, sitename.jp/i) . I guess they don't have to worry
> about a single site that does it all. I imagine the drawback is they
> have to worry about three different versions, and within those
> versions deal with models. Sounds like this would be a better
> approach when dealing with sessions.

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]