(keitai-l) Re: Brew Browser

From: William Volk <bvolk_at_zipproof.com>
Date: 03/29/04
Joseph Bowbeer wrote:

> I've found the quality to be consistently good across all DoJa
handsets.
> DoJa wisely (luckily?) avoided the biggest bugaboo on MIDP handsets:
> namely
> RMS.  On DoJa, persistent storage is a single random-access file, but
at
> least it's fast and reliable...
>
> J-Phone hasn't been a problem in the past year or so, either, nor
KDDI/au

That (if true) would be amazing.  The situation with MIDP 1.0 VM's in
the USA borders on the absurd.

1. The emulators mean nothing.  Running on the emulator means you have
30% of the work behind you ... and only one phone has a wireline
debugger.

2. VM's are so different in even basic functions ... even stuff that
what sort of array access will throw an exception is different on
different handsets.

3. HTTP I/O is close to broken on some of the phones.  Packets get hung
... requiring you to send another to 'free' it up.  With a 2.5 min. time
out you have to monitor the I/O threads to make sure you are not hung.

4. Buttons (i.e. the cursor pad et. al.) have different codes on
different phones.

Needless to say my development teams are less than happy with the
situation.

Bill Volk