(keitai-l) Re: Nokia warns of tough times ahead

From: Chris Campbell <chris_at_alchemedia.jp>
Date: 04/22/04

>Important point. The noise of opening a  clamshell phone is very indiscreet
>and IMHO most people don't want others to know they are making or receiving
>a call.

But you can't make or receive a call in complete silence anyway, don't
you have to talk? You could always leave the clamshell open before you
go on your secret spy mission :)

>- if writing/reading a message on public transport anyone can shoulder surf
>and see what you are writing or reading. If I use a clamshell I find myself
>putting my hand over the screen - not required with a nice non clamshell.

How is there any difference between clam and non-clam here?

>- Inherently thicker and hence takes up more room in your pocket. Herr
>Trendy Europeanski doesn't want unsightly bulges in his Boss jacket.

There is no reason a clamshell will take up significantly more room.
Also, non-clams are inherently longer so this is a matter of preference
thing again.

How about some advantages of clamshell:
- saves power since screen display is off
- can't accidentally push buttons when closed
- less screen damage