(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone does FeliCa

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/01/05
I *believe* that in Japan a lot of electronic information available to
the police is also "available" informally to private detectives, and
hence to anyone with a bit of cash. Like a spouse. Or mistress/lover.
Or an employer.

This isn't based on hard evidence, just a lot of "soft evidence" based
on what in-laws and ex-in-laws have told me (3 marriages is LOTS of
in-laws....) One was looking to do some collection of 10 months rent -
and was passed on to a gentleman with the words - "yes it's true he is
a Yak, but his cousin is a policeman and he has good contacts in the
police department".

It varies from prefecture to prefecture of course. Possibly Tokyo is
cleaner.

I have heard quite enough about Felica to be put off it entirely.

Nick