(keitai-l) Re: Justin Chamberlain on i-mode

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 10/18/00
The adoption of I-mode by European carriers would be a major loss for
Ericsson and other providers of GSM technology like Nokia, Siemens, and
Motorola. They are not major suppliers of the I-mode phones or packet system
so this would provide docomo's four phone manufacturers (who receive
preferential information from docomo) with a chance to expand their presence
in Europe. (For those who don't believe that docomo provides its phone
manufacturers with preferential information see my paper
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/papers/jeffrey/ on how docomo came to
dominate PDC in japan in the mid-90s).

A related question is what ericsson is doing with matsushita. The japanese
press is making this recently announced alliance sound very important while
the western press hardly mentions it. Is Ericsson concerned about its loss
of share in the GSM handset market and thus is looking for major help from
matsushita (as the japanese press makes it sound)? Or is it a temporary
alliance of the type that ericsson used well in the early years of GSM to
enter a large number countries?

Jeffrey L. Funk
Associate Professor
Kobe University