(keitai-l) Re: Justin Chamberlain on i-mode

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 10/18/00
"Walled Garden" seems to be the epithet of the month.

From: "Mika Tuupola" <tuupola@appelsiini.net>
> Below is a quote by Ericsson's head of corporate ventures, Justin
> Chamberlain. Taken from cre@teonline issue 2, august 2000.
>
> "i-mode is a walled garden and not truly mobile Internet, which
> restricts the development of creative new services."

I noticed Daniel Scuka using this term as well.

It's not whether the garden has walls, it's whether the gates are
open, how much you have to pay to get in, and how poorly you
have to behave to get evicted from the party.

> "... WAP has been
> optimized as a standard for mobile internet by the independent
> WAP forum."

Yeah, well....

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil in software design."
 (Donald Knuth, who knew from optimization.)

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner
leap@gol.com