(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V1 #156

From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran_at_creativegood.com>
Date: 10/25/00
>From: jeffrey funk <funk@rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
>Subject: WAP vs. Java
>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:05:26 +0900
>
>What do people think? Can Java be compared to WAP?
>
>Gartner Researcher Says Java Will Displace WAP
>Wireless Application Protocol technology will be replaced by Java technology
>as higher speed mobile services become available, but for now it remains a
>viable tactical choice, said Nick Jones, research director at Gartner.
>(VNUNET.com)
>http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2000/10/23/java_will.html
>
>Jeffrey L. Funk

terrible headline. WAP is a collection of protocols (and is independent
of carrier technology). Java cannot replace it any more than C can
"replace" HTTP plus TCP/IP etc. Additionally, even if Java became more
prevalent on phones, it would not help any of the network problems that
currently hamper WAP in the Europe. Additionally, it would not help with
the flawed marketing and business models that have hurt WAP.

zimran

zimran@creativegood.com
Creative Good
http://www.creativegood.com
212.736.2075

NEW: Download our paper on the wireless customer experience (free)
http://www.creativegood.com/wireless/