(keitai-l) Re: L-mode

From: Tracey Northcott <tracey_at_enfour.com>
Date: 10/25/00
My two cents...

As a Psion user :-) I regularly make use of the IR port my NM502i to
send/receive emails with a proper keyboard, to share information between
the two devices and with other Nokia NM502i users.  No trouble getting
into my work mail server or proxy from anywhere and no nasty cables to
get tangled on the train!!

>Derek Moore wrote:
>> 2. Is the infrared function on the Nokia phone worth owning an ugly phone
>> with a poorly designed keypad.
>
>If you have a Palm or a Pocket PC you can use the IR port to use the phone
>as a modem to make data calls to surf the web and download mail etc. No
>software or special set up required. Even though it's only 9.6 kbs it's
>useful when you are on a train as a PHS device (e.g. the P-in Comp@ct) which
>is 64 kbs will not keep a reliable connection. If you are travelling fast on
>an underground train you are out of luck ;-)
>
>You can also use the IR port for swapping contact info, although this is not
>a function I use a lot. Strangely enough I couldn't do this between a
>Cassiopeia and the Nokia although I could connect to the internet using IR
>without a problem. I did manage to swap data with a WizCom QuickLink Pen.
>I'm sure there are obvious technical reasons for this which hopefully
>someone with a detailed knowledge of IR can explain.
>
>Anyone got any positive experiences with the IR port on other DoCoMo phones.
>(I believe they use a different protocol).
>Andrew

There are no other DoCoMo phones with IR port!!!  Please correct me if I
am mistaken as I wish there were other phones available here with this
capacity.  I have seen a funky pod-like attachment at a conference
recently......

Tracey