(keitai-l) Re: Java on i-mode

From: Masi Yamada <masi_at_doongo.com>
Date: 10/26/00
> I suppose this depends on how much cache (if any) would be
> available on the
> phones?  Would hope to see a good amount of cache available otherwise the
> java app route is going to be a painful user experience.
>
> Jonathan

I've been told everything from 4 to 16MB of flash, depending on
manufacturer.  Of course, they are always vague about which release they are
talking about so my guess is that the first phones that will be available in
December will have around 4MB.  Of course, most of this will be used up by
pre-loaded apps from the manufacturers.  I was told that phones with as much
as 16MB would be available from the manufacturers with PDA development
experience in Q1 of 2001.  An SD-type solution for memory expansion will
probably follow shortly.  They are severely constrained by handset price so
memory size will probably not increase as quickly as one might hope.

I am trying to find out a rough footprint size for the OS.  (itron or
otherewise)  Does anybody know?

Also, I know access makes their browser avalible also but I am not sure if
that is the same optimized code that the use in the phones.  Any idea what
the footprint there is?