(keitai-l) business vs. consumer use

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/02/00
Ren and Gerhard,

Thank you so much for your good examples! I do not believe that business use
always proceeds consumer use. I asked the question because when I made a
presentation about I-mode at an e-commerce conference in DC in september,
many people (mostly academics) flat out disagreed with me. They said that
business use always proceeds consumer use and thus I-mode is an exception,
the japanese are just weird, and business use will proceed consumer use on
the mobile internet in the US. I was surprised by the reaction and I didn't
have any good examples to rebut their arguments with. Now I do! To
summarize, it sounds like mini-disc, flat panel screens (TVs before
monitors), CD and tape walkman, blue LEDs, shape-memory alloys, and probably
many others were used in consumer applications before business applications.
I feel like celebrating with a few beers!

Jeffrey L. Funk
Associate Professor
Kobe University
Graduate School of Business