(keitai-l) Re: Administrivia - quoting people

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 11/02/00
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Tony Chan wrote:

> Note: I write for a magazine and I want to use the information gathered
> on this particular thread, so if you don't want to be quoted, please
> specified.

	Every mail written to the list is property of the author.
	Nothing posted to the list is public domain unless the
	owner explicitly declares so.

	Researchers and reporters can of course gather data from the
	mailinglist assuming it falls into "fair use". Isn't this
	one of the main points of the mailinglist: to get and spread
	information?

	However to quote someone with their name included you have
	to get a permission from author to use their name. Meaning
	the author has to tell you "you can quote me". Expecting
	you can use authors name if she didn't tell you you couldn't
	is not in my opinion enough.

	Bottom line:

	Ask for permission first!

	Those who in doubt, please consult: