(keitai-l) Re: business vs. consumer use

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 12/31/03
jeffrey funk wrote:

> Ren and Gerhard,
>
> Thank you so much for your good examples! I do not believe that business use
> always proceeds consumer use.
[some more quotation deleted]

Jeffrey,

If you want to make people smile (depending on their humor),
you can also mention that shape-memory alloys are used
in women's underwear (bra's) in Japan. I am not sure however
whether that's business use or consumer use.

If I think a bit more, I may be able to find some more examples.

[what follows is off-topic - so please delete if required]

As regards the social phenomena at academic conferences in a
cases like yours, there is discussion by Rolf Landauer -
he was a senior scientist at IBM most of his life, and
did fundamental work on electronic interconnects,
the limits of computing and lots more. He is one of the scientists
I respect most.

He wrote a very poignant article describing situations such as
yours, where he got mobbed during his presentation, where
someone from the audience says something like:
"Landauer, what you say is totally wrong - don't you know
the famous paper by XYZ in the Proceedings of the
Academy of Science of Andorra in 1953 - that proves
you are wrong?" Landauer said usually when he has the
chance to check something like that, of course he finds
out that this famous article is totally irrelevant - but it's
too late.

Best regards,

Gerhard
fasol@eurotechnology.com