(keitai-l) Japan police put 'Wanted' site on Net phones

From: PJ McKenna <pj.mckenna_at_datalex.ie>
Date: 11/06/00
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2000/1106/breaking10.htm

'Ello 'ello 'ello: Japan police put 'Wanted' site on Net phones

 Last updated: 08:26

Japanese police have created a website to enlist the help of millions of
mobile phone-users with Internet access in catching criminals.

"We launched the website to strengthen our investigations and seek broader
co-operation from our citizens," said a spokesman for the National Police
Agency.

Photographs of 25 of Japan's most wanted are posted on the site, including
armed robbers and leading members of the Aum Shinrikyo Supreme Truth cult
who are wanted in connection with the 1995 Tokyo subway sarin gas attack and
who are still on the run.

"Among the three Aum members, two were involved in the subway attack. The
remaining 22 suspects on the website are designated as 'most wanted'," the
spokesman said.

The website can be accessed by NTT DoCoMo Inc.'s i-mode mobile Internet
access system and other mobile telephones which allow users to surf the web
and download e-mails and graphics onto their mobile handsets.

Citizens would be able to refer to a photographic likeness on their phone's
display screen anytime and anywhere they think they have seen a wanted
person, the police spokesman said.

DoCoMo alone has attracted 11.4 million subscribers since the launch of the
service in February 1999. But police have yet to gauge the impact of the
site on their investigations.

AFP