(keitai-l) Re: i-mode business model & content providers [was RE: I-mode site problems]

From: Dan Tochen <dan_at_tkai.com>
Date: 11/08/00
Hello all - I'm new to this list, so please be gentle.

On the subject of data use on 3G networks, I'm not sure exactly what timeframe Ren has in mind, but as Jani said, DoCoMo has high expectations for this market; prez Tachikawa predicts that data will account for 50% of telco traffic by 2005. See below article:
<http://www.nikkeibp.asiabiztech.com/wcs/leaf?CID=onair/asabt/event/114973>

But has anyone priced out what it would cost to transmit 1 Mb of data at i-mode data transmission rates? It comes to over 3,000 yen, which seems like it would put a crimp in widespread adoption of hyped apps like streaming video and video teleconferencing.

I saw an announcement by KDDI that they were planning on slashing data transmission fees to as low as 1/100 of current levels when their 3G service comes out, but then how will they pay off their 3G infrastructure investment? (besides, 30 yen/Mb is still kind of high...)

What I really want to know is how much the various carriers are budgeting to build their 3G networks. Has anyone seen these figures? I haven't been able to find this information anywhere, and I'd be grateful for any leads.

Thanks,
Dan