(keitai-l) Re: i-mode business model & content providers [was RE: I-mode site problems]

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 11/08/00
I think long (LONG) term "data"will drive revenue, especially when voice and data
are all packets, but DoCoMo's immediate and specific motivation for getting 3G
bandwidth in 2001 is definitely to meet voice demands first, and long-term to expand
data services and revenue.
I could of course be totally wrong, but looking at short-term voice revenue and
current network constraints, that revenue curve will have a hell of a time
maintaining voice revenue until data revenue catches up without 3G networks to
support voice.

r e n

Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:

> Renfield Kuroda wrote:
> > I disagree. DoCoMo makes way more money on voice than data. DoCoMo's drive for
> > 3G is 99% motivated by their desire to have more bandwidth for voice, not
> > next-generation data services like video phones.
>
> Hmm...?  At least at MoMuC-2000, DoCoMo's CEO showed a nice little graph
> of projected future mobile use.  The growth in voice services will reach
> saturation in a few years when everybody has a phone, but there is huge
> potential in data if people start to download movies and stuff through their
> phones, which is why DoCoMo is concentrating its research on data services.
> Naturally, what DoCoMo "really" thinks may be a different issue, but the
> argument seems eminently plausible and downright obvious to me...
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
> Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo
> ヤニ・パトカリオ / jani@sanpo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp / 090 7722 3557
> 東京大学、工学系研究科、機械情報工学科、算法設計研究室

ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144
hex: \x72 \x65 \x6e \x66 \x69 \x65 \x6c  \x64
morgan stanley dean witter japan
e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature