(keitai-l) Re: Embedding URLs In The Physical Environment

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 11/15/00
Douglass Turner wrote:
> I am developing technology that will allow a physical object to behave as an
> affordance for retrieval of Internet-based services related to that object
> from an Internet aware mobile phone or PDA. Has anyone come across any folks
> pursuing similar ideas in Japan?

I read that three times and I'm still not quite sure what you mean,
even though my primary interest is user interfaces and I throw around
fancy words like "affordance" daily.

So our user walks up to an orange.  The orange is orange, round, and
smells good, all affordances that hint "Hey! Eat me!".  Are you
suggesting that the mobile phone can itself detect the presence
of an orange-round-fragrant object and dial up http://www.orange.com
(a GSM operator, as it happens), or that the orange will have a
crunchy embedded device that will broadcast "I'm an orange!" signals?
Both ideas seem a little improbable, but please do clue me in...

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo