(keitai-l) Re: Embedding URLs In The Physical Environment

From: Douglass Turner <turner_at_landmat.com>
Date: 11/16/00

> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:57:54 +0900
> From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal@iki.fi>
> Subject: Re: Embedding URLs In The Physical Environment
>
> So our user walks up to an orange.  The orange is orange, round, and
> smells good, all affordances that hint "Hey! Eat me!".  Are you
> suggesting that the mobile phone can itself detect the presence
> of an orange-round-fragrant object and dial up http://www.orange.com
> (a GSM operator, as it happens), or that the orange will have a
> crunchy embedded device that will broadcast "I'm an orange!" signals?
> Both ideas seem a little improbable, but please do clue me in...
>
> Cheers,
> Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557

Jani et al,
Some examples

- You pick up a Pokeman toy and click your mobile at it. You receive a
greeting. Or your receive a few complimentary graphics. More goodness when
your purchase the toy. Same for comic books or video tapes, CDs, etc.

- You walk up to your office building at 3am to finish a project on
deadline. Point your phone at the door and it magically opens for you and
you alone.

- A contractor installs sheetrock in a building. Later during occupancy the
maintanence team can click on the wall or ceiling to get schematics on what
infrastructure (plumbing, electrics, etc.) lies *behind* the wall. Think
X-ray vision.

Get the idea. Use the physical world as affordance and also for crucial
contextual cues, rather then having to fabricate it from "thin air" via
PC/PDA/mobile.

Cheers,
Douglass Turner
email: turner@redballpro.com