(keitai-l) Re: Embedding URLs In The Physical Environment

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 11/17/00
Douglass Turner wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:57:54 +0900
> > From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal@iki.fi>
> > Subject: Re: Embedding URLs In The Physical Environment
> >
> > So our user walks up to an orange.  The orange is orange, round, and
> > smells good, all affordances that hint "Hey! Eat me!".  Are you
> > suggesting that the mobile phone can itself detect the presence
> > of an orange-round-fragrant object and dial up http://www.orange.com
> > (a GSM operator, as it happens), or that the orange will have a
> > crunchy embedded device that will broadcast "I'm an orange!" signals?
> > Both ideas seem a little improbable, but please do clue me in...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
>
> Jani et al,
> Some examples
>
> - You pick up a Pokeman toy and click your mobile at it. You receive a
> greeting. Or your receive a few complimentary graphics. More goodness when
> your purchase the toy. Same for comic books or video tapes, CDs, etc.

Yes, I understood this much, but *how are you going to get this to work*?
I outlined two approaches: either you embed everything in sight with
little electronic "I'm an orange" tags, viz. MIT's Squirt project,

> - You walk up to your office building at 3am to finish a project on
> deadline. Point your phone at the door and it magically opens for you and
> you alone.
>
> - A contractor installs sheetrock in a building. Later during occupancy the
> maintanence team can click on the wall or ceiling to get schematics on what
> infrastructure (plumbing, electrics, etc.) lies *behind* the wall. Think
> X-ray vision.
>
> Get the idea. Use the physical world as affordance and also for crucial
> contextual cues, rather then having to fabricate it from "thin air" via
> PC/PDA/mobile.
>
> Cheers,
> Douglass Turner
> email: turner@redballpro.com
> mobile: + 354 895 5077

Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo
ヤニ・パトカリオ / jani@sanpo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp / 090 7722 3557
東京大学、工学系研究科、機械情報工学科、算法設計研究室