(keitai-l) Re: popular i-mode sites subsidized by advertisin g..

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 11/21/00
At 11:16 2000-11-21 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I'd like to find out a great deal more about iMode's advertising model - for
>example, how the sales of advertising inventory are being handled, the
>pricing models, and the predominant advertising types which feature on
>official and unofficial iMode sites. Is any incentive (such as a coupon, or
>discounted tariff) included? Any help would be much appreciated!

Why is everyone so interested in the ad market?

The unique thing in Japan, except from that mobile Internet exists in
reality, is that people pay for good services. It is highly questionnable
if they will continue to pay for services with ads. They are primarily seen
as less interesting. There is also the problem with that they need to pay
for the bandwidth for unwished ads.

Ads will probably exist more in the future, but will have a different role.

>Here in Europe, fears over user backlash, lack of standards and accepted ad
>formats, and issues of data privacy are inhibiting commercial rollout of
>wireless advertising. While there have been a number of trials, these are
>primarily to validate a company's business case.

What do you mean fear over backlash? What we see now is one of the heaviest
backlash any new technology has recieved. What we have in the western world
under the notion of "mobile internet" is just a very bad joke. It is also
virtually impossible to validate a business case for wap-based ads in the
western world, since there is NO business at all.

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747