(keitai-l) Re: popular i-mode sites subsidized by advertisin g..

From: Rosalie Nelson <RVN_at_ovum.com>
Date: 11/21/00
My understanding was that DoCoMo had formed a partnership with Dentsu called
D2Communications which was responsible for repping official iMode sites.

This news items featured on Yahoo in June:

"Japan's Dentsu Inc advertising agency has set up a joint venture with
cellular phone provider NTT DoCoMo to handle advertising on DoCoMo's
phenomenally popular mobile Internet service, the firms said on Thursday.

The joint venture, named D2 Communications Inc, will be capitalised at 490
million yen ($4.5 million) and will also include NTT Advertising Inc,
another unit Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp (NTT) .

``We have been providing information via i-mode. Distribution of advertising
content via i-mode will be a new profit resource,'' NTT DoCoMo president
Keiji Tachikawa told reporters at a news conference.

NTT DoCoMo's i-mode cell phones, which give users access to the Internet,
have been a runaway success since being launched last year. Around seven
million subscribers use i-mode out of a total subscriber base of 30 million,
the NTT DoCoMo spokesman said.

The new firm -- 51 percent by NTT DoCoMo, 46 percent by Dentsu and three
percent by NTT Advertising -- will produce advertising content for i-mode
cell phone users.

The new company aims at annual revenue of one billion yen in the first year
to March 2001, an NTT DoCoMo spokesman said.

NTT DoCoMo expects the joint venture to post profits in the 2001/02 business
year, the spokesman said without specific figure. "