(keitai-l) Re: popular i-mode sites subsidized by advertisin g..

From: Andrew Saunders <st71305_at_srv.cc.hit-u.ac.jp>
Date: 11/21/00
Can't let this one slip by.

> The point is that you can not pay for services and have adds at the same
> time because Docomo does not allow advertising in official imode sites.

The ban for ads on official imode sites was lifted in October (from memory).
When imode achieved 10 million users, critical mass making it worthwhile
advertising (banners, mailto email programs, phoneto to call centres etc.)

Not only are many companies actively advertising on their sites, but several
companies have been recently formed for the sole purpose of brokering ad
space on the imenu.

D2Communications (JV between DoCoMo and Dentsu) www.d2c.co.jp has been
particularly active, recently reorganising the whole imenu to leverage the
advertising potential of imode. I suggest you spend an hour or two studying
their site, there's a lot to learn about user profiles, basic demographics,
banner specifications...

The main menu now looks something like this:
1. My menu - your official bookmarks
2. This weeks' news - new site updates from DoCoMo,  and a banner smack bang
at the top of the screen
3. Menu list (to official sites)
4. tokusuru menu (promotional & campaign info) - nothing but advertising
5. options
6. English menu

The whole purpose of the tokusuru menu is to enable users to quickly
register for promotional "win a digital camera" offers,  kind of like a
promotions-based portal of goodies.

While I have no supporting data as to how much official sites are pulling in
in actual revenues from advertising, have a look at the numbers Jeff kindly
posted a couple of days ago, that should give you a rough idea.

As far as unofficial sites go, you've got ValueClick's MobileClick service,
and there are now a number of other services up and running (k-taifan.com,
k-tai.net) with a "we pay you for your packets" model.

Andrew