(keitai-l) Re: Statistics I haven't faked myself

From: Funk Jeffry Lee <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 12/18/00
Perhaps soemeone closer to source (even geographically) would care to
comment, on the following figures which appear at odds with what I've read
so far:

From "DoCoMo Boosts i-mode Reach, Dec 12, 2000
[South China Morning Post] interview with NTT DoCoMo executive director
Takeshi Natsuno"
in http://www.anywhereyougo.com/ayg/ayg/wireless/Article.po?id=1569560
"The myth about iMode being targeted only at young consumers was blasted by
Mr Natsuno, who said only 7 per cent of iMode's user base were teenagers and
about 25 per cent were in the 40-year-old age bracket.
Mr Natsuno attributed that statistic to the fact that iMode offered a
technology platform for various mobile e-commerce content, such as banking.
'Of the more than 700 content partners we have, 320 are banks,' he said."

So...
7% = teenager
25% = 40-year-old age bracket (how wide is the bracket - 20 years?)
68% = ??

Norman
comment by jeff funk: first users and subscribers are different since many
parents subscribe to i-mode for their teenage children. second, the main
users of entertainment are young people. Although I have not seen data on
bandai's users, which are probably the youngest, young users still dominate
the more "mature" categories like video rentals and prize guides. for
example, here are some data on users (i don't get the exact definiition of
users from D2C)  that I received from D2C:
		 tsutaya online		prize guides
19 or younger 	24%			13%
20-24		33%			21%
25-29		24%			25%
30-34		11%			17%
35-39		 5%			14%
over 40		 3%			10%

Mr Natsuno would like foreigners to believe that i-mode has solved all of
the mobile internet problems. but in spite of being the world's greatest
mobile internet service it still has a way to go to achieve the full promise
of the mobile internet. one way for this discussion to proceed is for i-mode
users on this discussion group to send in the sites that they find the most
useful. myself and my assistant have looked at more than 50 sites and
besides news and eki mae tanken club, there is a lot of unofficial and
official sites that have a long way to go before they become useful.
end of comment.