(keitai-l) Re: Europe and ericsson's i-mode

From: Peter Bellew <peter_at_wapprofit.com>
Date: 12/19/00
The greater problem in Europe for WAP/iMode is the lack of GPRS handsets
operating at any type of acceptable speed.  There are major delays in supply of
this equipment - even with poor screens and weak WAP browsers.  It seems that
they will not be available in mass numbers until early 2002 across Europe. The
lack of a packet based system really kills it for the consumer or business.

The network operators in Europe are very conservative and have little
experience with developers - particularly on the content side. But email and
instant messaging over GPRS will be a "killer application" in Europe with GPRS
in 2002.  RIM are already trialling such devices in London.  Benefon have
linked with Microsoft for their Q handset which can browse HTML - this is a
nice handset - but is still some way behind your local products in Japan.

Will Microsoft be the people to bring a form of iMode to the West with their
MME HTML browser?  Maybe they will once again give away the browser in
Europe/USA to create a HTML wireless internet world?

Peter Bellew
wapprofit

Renfield Kuroda wrote:

> Mika Tuupola wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Renfield Kuroda wrote:
> >
> > > Just got one...if anyone on this list is from ericsson, brace
> > > yourself:
> > > Wow this phone sucks.
> >
> >         Now since it has been proven both Nokia and Ericsson i-mode
> >         handsets suck, or atleast theyre worse than their Japanese
> >         counterparts. A question comes to my mind. If NTT DoCoMo is
> >         bringing i-mode to Europe and US can i-mode be popular
> >         without great Japanese made handsets with 256 color screens.
> >

> Well, no matter how badly Ericsson's and Nokia's i-mode handsets compare to
> Japanese i-mode handsets, they still blow away any WAP handsets in Europe.
> So, even if Ericsson and Nokia took their i-mode handsets as is and sold
> them in Europe with WAP browsers, they'd crush the competition -- 6 lines
> of text is alot more than 4, much better resolution than any WAP phone,
> small form factor and good battery life, harmonic ringtones in Ericsson's
> case, etc...
>
> So it's all relative.
>
> r e n
>
> --
> ascii: r e n f i e l d
> octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144
> hex: \x72 \x65 \x6e \x66 \x69 \x65 \x6c  \x64
> morgan stanley dean witter japan
> e-business technologies | engineering and strategy
>
> -- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
> -- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
> -- File: smime.p7s
> -- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

-- Type: text/x-vcard